Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Giants, Giraffes and a Field Trip

Nathan is such a funny kid. He is obsessed with giraffes and giants right now. Most of his questions and actions throughout the day revolve around these two subjects. He loves to ride around our path in the backyard and put his arm up in the air and pretend like he is a giraffe. He also wants to be a giraffe for Halloween, but since he is already a head taller than most other 4 year olds I had to put my foot down on that one! And have you seen the huge stuffed giraffe for sale at Costco right now? Let's just say Nathan was more than excited when he saw it and begged to bring it home with him. Fortunately, it costs $500 so I had a good excuse to say no!

Nathan is constantly asking questions about giants such as:
'Why are giants the biggest things in the whole wide world?'
'Who's stronger, Daddy or a giant?'
'What's bigger, a giant or a giraffe?'
Our personal favorite giant comment was when he was saying his prayers one night he said,
"Please help me to be gooder than a giant!" Don't we all wish we could be gooder than giants!
Nathan is such a smart little boy and his mind is always going a mile a minute. He knows how to read, write, spell and his newest trick is addition. He came into our room the other day and proclaimed, "4, 3, 2, 1 makes 10... 5, 3, 2 makes 10... 8,1,1 makes 10... etc." What the heck? He does this all the time- he'll just throw out a series of totally random numbers and he knows that they all add up to 10 or 20. We have no idea how he does it. He never likes to give a direct answer, he usually answers with a clue like, "It's how old cousin Cortney is," if the answer is 13 or "It starts with a 'Y' and rhymes with jello," if the answer is yellow. It's so fun to see what his little mind is going to come up with next!

Monday morning I got to go with Nathan on his field trip to the Tanaka Farms Pumpkin Patch. Nathan definitely has a lot of energy and sort of rallies up the other boys to be crazy with him. He'll usually stop when you tell him to which I'm thankful for, but I just can't figure out why all three of our kids have SO MUCH ENERGY!

We rode the wagon ride over to the petting zoo where they got to pet sheep and goats.

We then walked through the corn maze...

Picked carrots, beans, onions and radishes...

and then Nathan got to pick the 'perfect' pumpkin. He seriously walked up to the most mangled, deformed pumpkin and asked, "What about this one?" I encouraged him to get a rounder one and he finally decided on this beauty!

They took a class picture at the end and Nathan did the best he could to get the rest of the class to scream 'Cheese' as loud as they could. As you can see he was only able to somewhat coax the little boy on his right, the rest of them sat and smiled nicely!

It was fun to spend a morning with just Nathan and see how he interacts with his preschool friends. I think he is definitely going to be a leader as he grows up, I just hope he leads people in the right direction!

17 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Nathan is such a handsome guy! Davis is going to be a giraffe for Halloween -- Nathan would be proud!

Nat Lud said...

What a smarty pants! I love hearing his stories. The addition stuff is nuts! That pumpkin patch looks awesome. Are you guys hitting up Disney this fall? Take lots of pics for me so I can sort of feel like I got to go too . . .

Johanna said...

Sounds like your son is a genius, period! He's going to be a smart, gorgeous leader. Not bad :) I have a few pictures of giraffes from Africa (in the wild and in a park), if you want to blow them up for him!

Annette said...

Wow, Sarah, you guys have a little genius on your hands! Nathan is such a cutie. I love having one-on-one time with my kids. The pumpkin patch looks so fun!

Heidi said...

What a great field trip! He is a funny kid! It was very entertaining hanging out with him for a few days!

Andrea said...

He is seriously SO smart, what an amazing little mind. I did think of him when I saw that giraffe in Costco, and riding his bike with his arm up is hilarious. I love the pumpkin patch field trip, I am going with Ellie on Tues. It's funny to see that your corn is still green. You guys both look so cute in your picture.

Robyn said...

I love that boy. He is always so happy and friendly. He is a boy genius and it's going to be fun to see him grow up. He is so funny and I loved guessing the answers to his clues the other day in the car.

Heather said...

Oh wow, I LOVE the picture of Nathan holding his arm up. What a crack up! Sounds like you have a future partner in the family accounting business on your hands. Such a precocious little guy! Good to see you having fun with Nathan :).

Sunny said...

He is SO SMART. And so so cute. I love watching him in primary - he's a crack up. But he is so good there too. And I can't believe he is adding up numbers like that. What a great kid with such imagination. We need to get him and Bryson together to play!

Melanie said...

What a cute kid. It is so fun to see what they are each interested in and hear about their talents. I was so impressed with the math he does! Holy cow! And seeing him ride his bike with his arm in the air is awesome. What a priceless picture.

Becky said...

i love pumpkin patch time. it reminds me of christms time, which is just around the corner. nathan is insanely smart. it's a little freaky, but nice at the same time. cute pictures. i miss you guys. love ya!

Nuestra Familia said...

He is so cute and super smart. What a fun fieldtrip.

Annie and Heidi said...

With you and Jonathan as parents I am sure he will be headed in the right direction and bring others along. What a great boy and so lucky to be part of your family. - Lorelei

shawna henrie said...

i have a stuffed giraffe collection...hunter loved them too...do you want them?? i have been hanging on to them, and cant seem to let them go. a link to his childhood, i guess. let me know-they look really cute tossed in a basket!! let me know!!

Derek said...

Awesome, Ben is going to be a giraffe for Halloween. I think Nathan should join him. He's growing up so fast. My personal favorite giant comment, "Why is Norah the most giant baby of all?" Haha, funny kid!

Wendy

Missy said...

I'm dying at the giant comments. what did you answer when he asked who is stronger 'a giant or daddy'? That is a great one.

I want to go to this pumpkin patch - where is it? Are there any rides there or just pumpkins and goats?

And his counting? He's a genius!

Tonya said...

What a smart kiddo! I love the pic of him riding his bike as a giraffe. Too cute.