Our 4th of July celebration started way before July this year. My friend, Catherine, organized a 4th of July craft swap where we got paired up with another person and then exchanged homemade crafts. I was really excited when my package arrived. It was complete with a table runner, star garland, vinyl lettering, a headband and lots of other fun goodies.
I didn't take a picture of all of the things that I sent to her, but this is the quilt that I made. It was my first time sewing a quilt and thanks to all of my mom's instructions I think I did a pretty good job! I want a sewing machine now!
After the ward party we came home and the boys all helped Jon wash the car.
Then they helped me make cookies!
Max wasn't quite as helpful!
On the actual 4th we went to church wearing our coordinating red, white and blue. (Max's tie really is red, it's just wet from his drool so you can't tell!)
After church we came home and got everything ready to host the 4th of July BBQ. We barbecued tri-tip, chicken, shrimp and hot dogs and made corn and then everyone helped bring the salad, bread, baked beans, and fruit. I made the desserts (since this is my favorite part of hosting a party) and the menu was complete with star shaped sugar cookies, strawberry flag cake and double chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
This is the table runner I got from the craft exchange. You can't tell but the cupcake liners and toppers actually match the table runner!
The party guests...
Bethany's family was in town so they joined the party as well. The more the merrier!
After dinner we headed over to the lake to watch fireworks. We sat there and waited for what seemed like a long time and then the show finally started. I think they were having some technical difficulties because a group of fireworks would go off, then there would be a long pause, then they would continue for a little bit, long pause, etc. Finally they announced that it was over so we all started getting up and the fireworks started going off again. So we sat back down and for like the next hour we kept thinking it was over and then they would go off again. We were all laughing pretty hard!
This was the first year that Jake didn't freak out when the fireworks started. He hid under this blanket and tried to sleep while I covered his ears for most of it. But when it just kept going he eventually woke up and sat and watched the rest. I was so proud of him! This was the first time we have ever been able to sit and watch together as a family. Too bad it was such a weird show!
The 4th of July has always been one of my favorite holidays. I'm so proud to be an American and so grateful to all of those who have fought for our freedom!
2 comments:
I'm afraid that the person who got that quilt will read this so I apologize ahead of time to this mystery person...but seriously? After seeing that quilt, I would sit in front of my t.v. and cuddle under it every night for the rest of my life. I love it. You did such a good job on it. It is so beautiful and I love all the squares you chose. That girl is a lucky girl! Glad you had a good 4th. You all look so cute and festive!
That quilt is so dang cute! Nice job! We can do a craft exchange if you want, if that's what's in the package!!! The 4th festivities look like tons of fun! Glad to see Jake is getting into it more!
Post a Comment