Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Ants and a Free Movie

So I woke up this morning, came downstairs and discovered that we had been attacked by ANTS! Anyone that knows me knows how I feel about them and that I used to have nightmares that they were crawling all over me and I would jump out of bed and start dancing around trying to get them all off. (OK, so maybe that just happened once, but you get my point!) All growing up I remember waking up to ants in the pantry and being so disgusted by it. I was concerned when we moved back down here last Summer that the same thing would happen in our house. Thankfully, we haven't had any problems with ants or any other living creature- until now. So I did the only logical thing, I called Jon at work and in a high pitched voice exclaimed that there are ants all over and that he needs to come home right now and take care of it! He said he would try his best to sneak away, but that he didn't know when that would be. So I did the next logical thing, I got the kids dressed and went to the movies, leaving the ants to roam the house!

Every Tuesday and Wednesday during the Summer our local movie theater shows kids movies for free. Today was Ice Age, The Meltdown which we had never seen before. Jake has been really into the original Ice Age movie lately so I thought he would really enjoy this. I dropped Nathan off at my sisters (he's not so into the movie going thing yet) and Jake and I went on a little date to the movies! It was so much fun. He sat there and ate his popcorn the whole time and really liked the movie. We then walked over to Trader Joes to get some fruit and my favorite chocolate mints (yep, some people go to Trader Joes because it's healthier, I go for the good candy!) and then went and picked up Nathan. Jake fell asleep in the car which is so funny. For some reason he can go all day running crazy and never tire, but take him to the movies for an hour and a half and he's out like a light!

So after we picked up Nathan, I had to face the inevitable, going home to those darn ants. Jon hadn't had a chance to come home yet so they were still there, but not nearly as many. Jon finally arrived with the ant spray and killed them all and wiped them up. He then sprayed the outside of the house as well so I am hoping that there won't be any more ants in our future. Now dates with Jake, I could take more of those any day!!!

9 comments:

Andrea said...

I feel your pain with ants and them crawling on you, everytime I see them my head starts to itch. I hope they are gone for good. What a fun little date with Jake, he's a good boy. I am glad at least half of your day was fun.

Becky said...

remember when dad told us the story about the man who went crazy and jabbed a fork in his forhead and millions of ants came crawling out? no wonder we hate ants so bad. i have had similar dreams. the sad thing is we believed dad for so many years.

Tonya said...

UGH!! Ants are the worst. We were invaded a couple of Sundays ago. Luckily, we have the industrial size poison that I'm sure will end up killing us all right along with the ants. Yuck!

We were going to go see Ice Age yesterday, too, but something came up. Bummer! It would have been fun to see you and Jake on your date.

Nat Lud said...

So that comment about you going to Trader Joe's for the candy made me laugh out loud! That sounds just like ya! I too woke up to a few ants today but that's because Bubba had thrown food on the floor and I rebelled last night and didn't sweep before bed! Yup, I'm crazy. Anyway, glad to hear your 'assistant' came to the rescue!

Meggan said...

Sarah, you're so funny that you can't clean up ants! After Becky's comment, I might not blame you, though.

We were going to go to the movie too, but just couldn't make it. Glad you had a nice date. You're the dating queen. First a concert and now a movie. Guess it pays to have all these handsome men in your life.

cat said...

disgusting ants. they sick me out too, especially when the boys let them crawl all over them and talk about how cute they are and how they are "tickling" them.

i forgot about those free movies, we saw curious george about 4 times last summer at those things!:)

Robyn said...

Sick. I HATE ants worse than spiders. I wouldn't care is a tarantula hung out in my kitchen all day, but ants are NEVER welcome. That is so fun that you got to take Jake to the movie. You are such a fun mommy. It sounds like he loved it!

Heather said...

You left ants to roam your house? I would want to kill them all immediately! You are hilarious. I remember finding ants in the pantry at your old house. You used to scream and fake cry.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, we have ants too. Not a ton, but I hate them. They're terrible. I laughed when you wrote they were always in the pantry of your old house b/c I remember them there too. At least you made a bad morning (filled with ants) a good one!