Last Monday night for Family Home Evening I tried to teach the kids about why we celebrate the 4th of July. I told them that it is America's birthday and that we are so lucky that we get to live in a free country. Nathan then asked me what 'America' was. I replied that it is where we live. I think I really got through to him. While we were watching the fireworks he pointed to them and asked, "Is that America?" How do you explain this holiday to a 3 year old?!!!
Despite the confusion, we had a great day!
We started the day at our ward's anual flag ceremony, breakfast and bike parade. I teared up as patriotic songs were played and sung- I have always felt a huge sense of pride and appreciation that I am an American (those of you who saw my house in Vegas can attest to that!).
The boys helped us decorate their bikes for the bike parade. Jon spent about an hour decorating Nathan's bike- I think every part of it was wrapped with crepe paper!
The boys loved riding their bikes around while everyone cheered for them. Jake even snuck in and went around twice!
After the ward party we went out to my mom's house and went swimming. My parents are in Arizona this weekend helping Becky who is in the hospital again (for more details on that go to her blog) and so we got the pool all to ourselves! I forgot to get swim diapers in Max's size so he had to wear one of Jake and Nate's. The sad thing is that it's not even that big!
This was Max's first time swimming. The water was a little cold so he didn't really love it!
Jake has started trying to dive in. It turns out to be more of a belly flop, but he loves it!
11 comments:
Looks like so much fun! I love the 4th too! What a fun post! I seriously need to start a blog. :)
Glad you had a great day! Thanks for sharing the pool! My family had a great time. How was the fireworks show at the lake? Maybe we should go there next year.
What a great day! Cute picture of the family in the backyard too. I'm glad we got to spend some of the day with you at the ward breakfast. Your boys were so cute on their bikes with their huge smiles as they rode around!
Happy belated 4th! I saw your house in Vegas. Definitely patriotic! I love that you are proud to be an American. Did you really tear up? So cute Sarah. That cake picture brings back some high school memories.
Is Becky alright? I hope she's okay. I don't see any updates on her blog.
Amen, sista! I love the 4th too! Such cute pics of your holiday fun. I love the pic of Max in his swimming diaper! I am so bummed we missed you in Yellowstone by one week! Hope you have a great time!
And I just have to add that you guys are awesome parents! I love that Jon took Jake up to the office and spent time with him that way instead of making him sit through it so both of you could be together. I just admire you guys so much!
Wow! I am really impressed you got so much to fit into one day. (Your house in Vegas was very patriotic and super cute, by the way.) The boys will have great memories!
Love the swim diaper picture on Max. That picture is priceless. He's so cute and chubby. Just like your other two.
You guys are the most festive family I know. So cute.
I love your new header, it's darling!
Looks like a great 4rth, missed the flag cake this year. Love your new family photo. I love the bike parades, so much fun for the kids. Looks like you had a great day.
You always look like you are having such a fun time. I love the holiday for the patriotism and having a day off work to spend with family.
I guess I'm just a month behind reading your blog, sheesh!
You have the cutest family. I always love reading about your family traditions and seeing the kids all dressed up.
So cute!
Post a Comment