I feel like this accurately describes my older two children right now. They are seriously out of control. I could bore you with stories of how they poo in their underwear/pull-up and then take it off, touch it and then spread it all over every surface of the house they can find. Or how while I am unloading the car they come in, start the washer and throw clothes, potpourri and our dustbuster into about a foot of water. Or how while I am talking to the neighbor and the kids are strapped in the car one of them reaches over and beats up Max causing him to have a black eye and bruised forehead. Or how every time I turn around all of my Christmas ornaments and decorations are on the floor including my Willow Tree shepherd that is now missing a hand and can't hold his staff up. BUT, I won't bore you with those details. Instead I will share one story in particular with you to help make my point.
I took the kids to the doctor's last week to get their flu shots. I was a little apprehensive about taking all 3 of them without any help, but I've done it before and they did pretty well. Everything was going fine until they called us back to our room. As soon as we got in there the boys were just bouncing off of the walls. The doctor came in and the entire time I was talking to her I was wrestling with Jake who was pulling all of the paper covering off of the table, pulling on the blinds, etc. Jake and Nathan got their flu mists first and then they did Max's shot. While I was putting on Max's pants after the shot the boys darted out of the room and down the hall towards the waiting room. I hurried out of there to follow them, but wasn't too concerned since they always stop to play in the waiting room on our way out and I can never get them to leave.
So I made it to the waiting room and realized that they weren't there. Everyone was looking at me and asked if the two boys that went running through there were mine. They then proceeded to tell me that they ran out the office doors, out the main doors and are now running around the parking lot. Frantic I went out there and sure enough they were running around on opposite sides of the parking lot. So I ditched the stroller and while holding Max with one arm I yelled at Nathan to get over here and I went after Jake. By some small miracle Nathan actually came over to me and followed me while I tried to catch Jake. The entire time Jake was laughing and thinking this is the funnest game.
I finally cornered Jake, grabbed his hand and dragged him (since he wouldn't walk) with my surgery hand all the way back to the car. When we got there I realized that my keys were with the stroller that was still by the door. So I let go of Jake and went running over there to get it. Sure enough in those 5 seconds Jake took off running again. I cornered him again, dragged him back to the car and tried to get all three of them in their carseats. Jake beat me up while I buckled him in and that was pretty much the final straw. I got in the car, drove by all of the people who were staring at me during this whole event and did nothing to help me, and cried hysterically all the way home.
I know that it is a challenge to have a child with special needs, but sometimes it just seems more than I can handle. The sad thing is that it's not just Jake. Nathan has a serious attitude right now and doesn't listen to a word we say. We've tried every discipline trick out there and nothing seems to be getting through. People say that boys get easier as they get older and seriously right now that is the only thing that is getting me through. These boys are a challenge.
On a brighter note, we have been doing a lot of fun Christmas activities that I need to blog about. So stay tuned...
Aloha! (Spring Break)
8 years ago
17 comments:
Oh Sarah, I'm so sorry! When can Nate come play this week with Jack? Maybe a morning when Jake's in school and you can get some errands done with just one. (I'd offer to keep Max too, but I don't think I can do Max and Scotty, sorry.) Give me a call and let me know.
Oh Sarah, I am so sorry, I can just picture the whole ordeal and I am so sad that no one helped you. I think if I saw a similar situation, I would have to help. You are such a good mom, I don't know how you do it all. You do the cutest things with your kids and they are enjoying an amazing childhood. I don't blame you for crying the whole way home, we all have those moments.
I find myself sometimes feeling liek the worst mother because the whole attitude thing is making me insane, I yell and scream out of frustration but i need to realize that they are just kids and bite my tongue more. But it's hard. I could never imagine myself in your shoes, i don't think I could handle what you do... you are truly amazing.
simple solution-straight jackets. no worries i'll get you some for christmas. obviously i am kidding. i can't say i understand b/c i don't, but i do know that you are an amazing mom with more patience than anyone i know. you devote so much of your life to your sons and they will definitely thank you one day. i am not sure when, but they will. thanks for setting such a high standard of what moms are suppose to be like. i have big shoes to fill.
Sorry to hear about that Sarah. It does sound frustrating that they behave this way and even more frustrating that people were watching and not helping. I hope that indeed they will get easier when they grow old. You're in my thoughts.
Oh Sarah! How scary to have them running all over the parking lot. I'm glad you were able to get them eventually. Why don't people help each other anymore? It's such a shame. You obviously had your hands full.
The attitude thing is so frustrating - my two oldest are doing that lately and it drives me CRAZY!
I hope this week is a bit better for you. Wish I was closer to help.
i am so sorry. does it help that maybe you'll laugh about it in 10 years and you'll be so glad that you wrote it all down?! i hope this week goes better and that your boys can find the goods in their stocking under their lumps of coal! :)
Sarah! What an adventure your life is. I sort of felt a big more normal as I read your post. We have had a lot of challenges with Bubba and Brea too lately and it's been awful! It is so hard keeping track of busy kids! You are a great mom and I admire you for all that you do. I hate when people just watch in events like this! Grab a freakin' kid people!
Oh Sarah! That sounds like such a horrible day. I'm so sorry that all that happened! I know you love your kids so much, though, and I hope things don't get that crazy again. Maybe take Jon or your mom with you anytime you have to do anything with all three of them again!
You poor thing!!! I am glad the boys are all okay, you do a great job. They will get easier as they get older, I don't know why I assume this but I just think they have to right? OH the attitude, I think the sarcasm that Ryan and I constantly use does come back to bite us, a lot! Hope you have a better week. Got your card today, totally adorable. Take care!!
Sarah, I am so so sorry that happened. Everywhere I go, that is my worst fear. It used to happen to me all of the time, but now I have the fear of an angry psycho mother in them, so they stay pretty close.
Shame on the stupid mothers who let the boys run out of the door of the office! Who does that?!? And SHAME on the people who just watched in the parking lot! That is the worst part of the story! Why are people like that? Get out of your car and help a desperate mother for goodness sake!!
And trust me, I have cried all of the way home for much less traumatic events.
Hang in there, you are an awesome mom.
What is wrong with people? I would have been chasing the kids around the lot with you. I've done it for mothers in the court parking lot, at the supermarket, wherever. I'm sorry to hear your story Sah.
I'm sure the boys will get better as they get older. If not, then you can send them to boarding school. My mom used to threaten me with military school. ha ha Just kiddin'. Wish I was closer to help you out.
Sounds like you deserve a nice long day at Burke Williams. Ever been there? Let's go next time I'm in town.
serenity now... SERENITY NOW!!!
What is wrong with people these days? They just sit and watch. Lamos. I would've stood and blocked the door to the waiting room if I saw 2 boys trying to leave without their mom. People are lazy these days and afraid to do anything to help. I'm sorry if I've ever stood there and didn't help you. I promise if I have it's because I talk a lot and just didn't notice or something.
You know I will leave one of my kids with Dave and come run errands with you if you ever need...that is if he's home. Or let's just stick to our late night shopping trips.
You are a wonderful mother and I know how much you love your boys and hurt inside when they misbehave. You are doing such a great job. I think motherhood is the hardest never-ending job in the world and some days, I want to quit...and I only have 2...
Sarah...I wish I lived closer to you and that I could offer to give you a little hand here and there. My heart goes out to you right now. Hang in there, I know it will get easier...when I am blogging about my teenage daughters, your heart will go out to me, right?
I soooooo relate! And I have to say that they do get better from about 4-10 years old, (with a little glitch around 8, just when they're getting baptized, so you can't get too mad at them)... but then the hell is back with a fury between 10-11. And that's all the further I've gotten so far... Love love love my 9 month old and my 9 year old. Getting close to strangling my almost 3 year old and 11 year old boys! Good luck! I'm with you for the long haul!
Wow, I wish there was something I could say to make it all better. I just know that you are a wonderful mom even though you feel like you are loosing it sometimes. We all feel like that sometimes & I can only imagine that having a special needs child is even more difficult. Hang in there.
SO sorry about your day! I cannot believe they just let the kids run out of the office without seeing an adult with them.
It must be so difficult to have to manage 3 kids and all of the daily stuff that goes with being a mom.I can only imagine. Hang in there.
Post a Comment