Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Fun

October was a crazy month filled with lots of Halloween activities! Here's what we have been up to...

Neighborhood "BOO"

Every year our neighborhood passes along a Boo treat where someone ding dong ditches a treat at your door and then you put together a treat and take it to two more neighbors, etc. So for Family Home Evening a few weeks ago the boys had fun making Boo signs and ding dong ditching treats at the neighbor's houses. I don't know how anonymous they were since Nathan wrote all of our names on his Boo sign and Jake was pretty loud when he rang the doorbell and ran away, but it's the thought that counts!

Halloween Party

Jon and I went to a couples Halloween Party and we dressed up as the Ultimate BYU Fans! I didn't want to buy anything so I figured this was perfect since we actually own all of this BYU paraphernalia! (Okay, we did buy the socks, but everything else we had!)

Please notice the BYU scrunchy and BYU letter opener in my hair!

We had to decorate masks for the party- I thought ours turned out okay!

Robyn and Dave were supposed to go as Tabitha and Napoleon from So You Think You Can Dance, but alas Dave opted not to wear the skinny jeans and tight vest so he went as an Angels fan!

Steven and Cortney came as a pumpkin and a pumpkin carver! I thought it was so creative!

Trunk or Treat
We went to our ward's Trunk or Treat which is always a fun time for the kids!

A cop, a fireman and his fire dog!

The fire dog eating a dog!

Haunted House Decorating

For another Family Home Evening this month we decorated a haunted gingerbread house!

Max just sat by and watched while eating the decorations!

The finished product...

Max was excited to see his name on it. Either that, or he was excited about all of the candy we were letting him eat!

Jack-O-Lantern Sandwiches

Jake had the couple days before Halloween off from school so we decided to have 'Halloween Fun Day' and do all sorts of fun Halloween crafts and activities. For lunch the boys made these Jack-O-Lantern sandwiches with bread, melted cheese, raisins and celery.

Halloween Necklaces

We then strung Halloween candy necklaces that the boys had fun eating the rest of the day!

Halloween Sugar Cookies

In following with our tradition, we made and decorated sugar cookies. This time I let the boys do the whole thing and frost all of the cookies. Needless to say I didn't eat any nor did I take them to any friends, but the boys had no problem eating them! Jon was a trooper and ate one when he got home!

Max got in on the fun this year.

Don't those look appetizing?!!!

There's still some frosting left here!

Nathan's Preschool Parade

Nathan's class invited the parents to come watch them parade around in their costumes and then sing some Halloween songs for us. It was so sad when Nathan came out. His costume was a little too small and I didn't get around to fixing it. So his suspenders had come undone during preschool and no one helped him fix them before the parade which meant he had to hold his pants up the whole time. He couldn't even wave! I felt so bad, but he didn't seem to mind.

The class did such a great job with all of the songs. Nathan had a little part and he said it perfectly, though notice that he is still holding his pants up!

Pumpkin Heads
Jon and I went out last Friday night and when we came home we saw these pumpkins all lined up on the table. The babysitter had brought them for the kids to do! She said that they had a lot of fun putting together the different funny faces. What a great babysitter!

Pumpkin Carving
This year we let the boys draw the faces on their pumpkins and then Jon and I did our best to carve exactly what they drew! The boys were pretty happy with the results!

Trick or Treating

The time finally came to actually go Trick or Treating! We went out to my parent's house for the traditional orange dinner and then we went around their neighborhood before heading home and going with some friends around our neighborhood. Needless to say the boys got plenty of candy!

Cousin shot!

Ready to head out the door and get some CANDY!

The Aftermath

After Trick or Treating our friends came back to our house and the kids all surveyed their candy. The adults ate delicious brownies that Cortney brought while the kids ran around on complete sugar highs!

The highlight of the night for Jake and Nathan was passing out candy to the Trick or Treaters that came to our house. Unfortunately we got back so late that there weren't very many left, but they got so excited whenever the doorbell rang. Jake even dumped his own candy into the bowl and was handing it out to everyone!

You can see that we finally fixed Nathan's costume. Jon sewed ribbon onto the suspenders to make them longer. It actually worked out great until he took off his jacket and you could see the ribbon!

And now the daily fight for candy has begun. I'm about ready to throw it all away, but I figure I'll give it a few more days since they worked so hard to get it!
We hope that every one else out there had a
Happy Halloween!!!

13 comments:

Kristen said...

You are always so creative. It looks like you had a very busy but FUN Halloween weekend, also! I love the boys' costumes! Very cute! The theme was also very creative...why am I not surprised!

Johanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Johanna said...

I am so amazed at the activities you create for your boys to stay occupied! Busy October indeed!! Love the pictures! The boys look really cute and you guys ready for the next BYU game :)

Nat Lud said...

Such fun activities! You guys are always doing something fun. Love it! Your boys' eyes are amazing. I love the bright blue!

Derek said...

Wow, you guys had a fun filled month. I can't believe all the things you managed to fit into the holiday. Their costumes were awesome. I especially liked the sewing job by Jon. Way to step up to the plate! I'm happy you had a fun Halloween!!!

Wendy

Heidi said...

Always so much fun at your house! The Halloween festivities sounded so great! I love that you and Jon were BYU fans! So appropriate. :) That story of Nathan holding up his fireman pants cracked me up!

Robyn said...

Oh. I see you chose the pic of you and Jon standing in front of your door instead of the one I took at J's. That's okay. Ha-kidding! Great pics and nice one of me and the Angels fan bandit!! Also, why didn't I take any of you and Jon's aweseome costumes with my camera to show off on my blog? I keep thinking nobody wants pics with my camera because it doesn't take the best pictures.

I was wondering what Max was eating! That's funny-the fireman eating his dog!!

Those haunted houses are so cute and I wish you would've told me about the pumpkin sandwiches! Do you know how many grilled cheese sandwiches I've made lately?? Those are so cool!

And go babysitter! Those pumpkin heads are great!

I've talked to so many people who said their kids favorite part of Halloween was passing out candy! That was Trent's favorite part too. He and Emily would say, "Okay, what are you?" The kid would tell them, they'd pause and look at each other and finally say, "Okay, here you go" and dump candy in their bags. It was so funny. Lucky for them, they'll have a lot of fun passing it out next year since Halloween is on Sunday!!

Why is my son 4 ft. shorter than Nathan?

Robyn said...

Great run tonight.

Heather said...

Sarah! What a crazy, fun Halloween for your boys! They are the luckiest kids. You should write a holiday activity book for kids.

The BYU costumes were great. Very spirited. Go Bruins.

It was good talking to you today! Hope we get to see you and the boys in a few weeks!!

Andrea said...

So many fun things to comment about. I love how the boys costumes turned out, very cute, and Jake looks so handsome in his officer uniform. As for you guys and your BYU costumes....lovely:) What a fun tradition to have great party to go to every year. Very cool. All of your Halloween activities look very fun, you are a good mom. It looks like a perfect Halloween.

Becky said...

wow, that was a lot of awesome pics. thanks for posting all of them. what an amazing halloween. your boys are so spoiled, in a good way though. they are very loved. i love your guys' costumes. byu fans-turned out awesome. now its time for christmas!

Steve and Rebecca said...

What a fun month!! Oct is so much better with kids, isn't it? Your costumes of BYU fans were great.

Melanie said...

Holy cow, could you have packed any more into Halloween?! :) It looks like you guys had a blast. I loved everyone's costumes - the BYU ones made me laugh. So very TRUE BLUE!

Hope you get a chance to relax and take a breath before Thanksgiving and Christmas hit. :)