Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Go Carli, Go!

My little sister, Carli decided this year that instead of playing soccer she wanted to do cheerleading! Unfortunately she decided this a little late so she still doesn't have her uniform, but it didn't seem to phase her at all. I went to her game last Saturday and it was so fun to watch her cheer. Every time she got ready to start a cheer, she would yell to me up in the stands to make sure that I was watching!
At halftime I noticed that she wasn't going out with her squad to do the cheer. So I went down to talk to her and realized that she was sad that she was never the one to be lifted up by the squad! So I gave her a little pep talk and explained to her that when Christy was a cheerleader she was always the one on the bottom that would lift up the other girls. Just like Christy, Carli has an important job to do, just as important as the girls that get lifted! She then got a huge smile on her face and ran out to meet her squad. The last picture shows her happily helping to lift one of the other girls. I guess a little pep talk was all she needed!
Ever since Carli was little I have always gotten really emotional watching her school programs or sporting events. I don't know why, there's just something about watching these kids with special needs out there trying their best and having a great time that is so touching to me. Of course the hormones didn't help this time, but I swear I cried the whole time. There was one boy in a wheel chair playing in the football game. They would pass him the ball and his dad would push him down the field while the boy smiled from ear to ear with excitement! How can you not got choked up watching that? Maybe I always knew that I would have a child with special needs and that's why these kids have always had a special place in my heart. Whatever it is, I love Carli and am glad that I got to go watch her cheerleading career take off! She is the best!

10 comments:

Becky said...

this is the blog i have been waiting for. those pictures are awesome. i almost starting crying while reading it. it is so true about the emotional part. it always reminds me what's really important in life. these kids could find reasons to be unhappy, but instead, they chug along making hte world a brighter place. i love carli. she is the best!

Tamara said...

that is so awesome. your family is the coolest people alive.

Heather said...

What? She gave up soccer for cheerleading? I have to talk to Carli about this decision ;).

I love the pictures of her cheering. She's an inspiration for everyone. Go Carli!

Andrea said...

Carli looks great. I hope she continues to love cheerleading.
Tell her Bailey says HI. She still loves Carli.

Erin said...

Beautiful post. I love it that all she needed was a little pep talk and you said just what she needed. From one base to another, Carli's job IS very important. Okay, so I retired from cheerleading in 8th grade so I'm not really a legitimate base, but if I would have continued I would certainly have always been a base.

Robyn said...

Thanks for making me emotional. You are such a good sister and Carli is so blessed to have you as an older and supportive sister. You guys are all part of such a great family. I think it's awesome that they have so many fun programs for kids with special needs. Next time, I want to go too.

cat said...

yeah carli!!! she is the cutest cheerleader i have ever seen. i love that girl. i can just see her making sure that you are watching her when it is her turn. she is an amazing person!

Meggan said...

I love Carli! That girl is so awesome. And cheerleading? So cute!!

Nat Lud said...

Oh, Sarah, that is such a great post. Special needs people are just so amazing and have the best spirits. The determination, happiness, and love they all have is just unbelievable. Thanks for sharing this! Go, Carli!

Nuestra Familia said...

Hi Sarah, I love the pictures of Carli. She is perfect for cheerleading. Tell your mom and Carli hi from us.
Congrats on your third boy, we are excited for you, love ya, Ale