Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Grandpa John

My Grandpa John passed away last Thursday at the age of 77 after battling Leukemia (CLL) for 12 years. After hearing many times that the doctors thought the end was near, he somehow always seemed to pull through. It's really weird that he is actually gone, but I'm so happy that he is in a better place and is free from all of his pain and suffering.

My grandpa lived up the street from me for most of my growing up years. He was there for every one of my sporting events including the basketball game where I broke the school scoring record. He was the only one there and I remember how proud he was of me. He taught me many things including how to waterski, what to do when I get a side cramp while running, and most importantly how to be strong, hard-working and service oriented. He was such a great man and will be missed. I love you, Grandpa John!



My grandma's whole life was serving my grandpa. She is such an amazing example to all of us of selfless service. Whenever anyone dies I think the hardest part is thinking of the ones they left behind. I hope that my grandma knows that we all love her and that she's welcome down here in California anytime!

My mom, my Aunt Debbi and my dad all spoke at the funeral and did a great job paying tribute to my grandpa. After the funeral the Relief Society provided a luncheon and then we went up to Salt Lake for the burial. My Uncle Brad dedicated the grave and did a great job as well.
My dad, mom and grandma at the cemetery.

All of the grandkids that were there (and a couple great-grandkids!)

Right after this picture was taken Justin leaned down, kissed the casket and said "Goodbye Grandpa John." It was really sweet.

Christy, Holly Rob and I (and the babies) all flew up together on Monday night and then back on Tuesday night after the funeral. It was pretty funny thinking what people must have thought seeing Rob with a pregnant woman and two women with babies! Hopefully we don't look too much like polygamists!!!

Four of the sisters- Becky is still sick and coudn't make it (we missed you) and I'm not sure where Carli was!

Rob was such a great help to us the whole time. He carried all of our bags through the airport and he helped me lug Max's carseat all around since it is so heavy!
It's good to be back home. I'm hoping not to make another trip back to Utah for a long time!

13 comments:

Cortney said...

That was so sweet. I am glad that you got to go to be with your family!

Heather said...

Oh Sarah, I'm sad to hear this news, but I'm happy he won't suffer any longer. Many of my high school memories of times spent at basketball games and at your house include your Grandpa and Grandma. They were the cutest couple ;). Your post is such a nice tribute. Aw, I'm sad.

Molly said...

I'm so sorry about your Grandfather's passing, it is so hard when we have to go through these life changes. I hope your Grandma is doing well... What a great post, such a nice tribute to your Grandpa.

Kristen said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa. This was a very nice way to show your love for him. We will keep your Grandma in our thoughts and prayers. Glad to hear you are home and all is well.

Meggan said...

You guys have such a cute family. And what a great brother Rob is!

Sad to see someone go, but I'm glad he is happy right now. I hope your grandma is okay. They are a very cute couple.

Johanna said...

Sorry to hear that, sarah. Your post is a nice remembrance of his life and legacy.

Missy said...

I have the best memories growing up at your house with your grandparents up the street too! I'm so sad that he is gone now, but I'm sure it is good that he is not in anymore pain. Your sweet grandma too - will she move back to CA?

My favorite memory is being at your grandparents and your grandpa teaching me and Becky how to play Chinese checkers and then your grandma made us egg salad sandwiches. Cutest couple.

Melanie said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa. Loved the picture of him with your grandma - so sweet. It's times like these that make me so grateful for the gospel.

Bethany said...

Good job with Rob! He needs to get more practice - only 5 more weeks!

Sunny said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa! I have been told many times what a great man he was. I'm so glad you were able to go and be with your family!

Emily said...

Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Even when we know we will see them again and that they are in a peaceful, happy place, it is still hard to lose someone you love. I enjoyed reading your tribute and seeing the pictures.

Lisa said...

My mom told my your grandpa has passed away and I'm sorry to hear that. He sounds like a really neat man.
Your cousin, Lisa

Andrea said...

Sad to hear that. He has been such a trooper these last few years. Glad you were able to go. Wish the best for your grandma.