Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten

Today was Jake's first day of Kindergarten! On the first day they have the parents come with the kids and it only lasts for an hour. It was fun to be there with him, but I was so nervous the whole time that he was going to do something inappropriate. He did pretty well, but got a little restless while the teachers were talking to the parents for a half hour or so. After they finished talking to us, we went around and did different centers. Jake loved this part! He painted his hand and made a handprint, wrote his name and as many numbers as he could, and then colored a car since he rides in a car to get to school. We also met Jake's aide who will help him one-on-one whenever he needs it. She will watch him on the playground in case he were to have a seizure and help him with potty training. Everyone seemed really nice and excited to have him there so I'm hoping that we are in for a great year!

He walked right in and sat down on the carpet. He seemed really happy to be there!

Jake is in a collaborative Kindergarten where there are about 5 kids with special needs and the rest are typical. Mrs. Kruse is a special ed teacher and Mrs. Martin is a regular ed teacher. They do everything together and then when they break up for centers Mrs. Kruse will work with the ones with special needs, including Jake. None of the kids know who is who and I've heard great things about this program. I'm hoping that Jake does well and that he learns from his classmates.

He actually wrote his name pretty well and wrote 1-3 on his numbers. This is HUGE for Jake. At the end of last year he was just scribbling all over his paper. All sumer we have been working on tracing his letters and numbers and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it actually helped!

He was very into coloring his little car. This is another huge improvement from last year. He actually took the time to use different colors and stayed in the lines for the most part.
I'm really hoping that this is a big year for Jake with his development. I've already seen a lot of improvement this summer and am excited to see how he grows and develops throughout the year!

11 comments:

Kristen said...

Do you ever miss the days of teaching in a classroom? I always loved the excitement of the first day!

Tonya said...

Sarah, that is such great news that Jake had such an awesome first day. It sounds like all of your hard work and diligence is really going to pay off! That program is going to be amazing for him.

Ethan has that same shirt!

Robyn said...

I am so proud of Jakie! That is so great that he can do all that stuff. I'm so impressed that he can write his name and numbers. It sounds like he is going to do great in that learning environment. He looks so excited to be there.

And I must say, there is something different about those pictures...were they taken by a professional or something? Mmm...

Heather said...

Way to go Jake! Good luck in Kindergarten! Sarah, he looks so cute, working so hard.

Bethany said...

Jake looks so cute and so grown-up sitting at the table with the other boys. Cute outfit too!

Andrea said...

I thought of him yesterday, I am so glad things went well. It sounds like he is going to do awesome. Yea for him writing his name too, good luck Jakey you are going to be the studliest of all the kindergarteners. Seriously we need to talk soon..... now that football is upon us I am have a lot of free nights, I will give you a call soon. So cute with all of your BYU treats and game day stuff.

Annie and Heidi said...

We cannot believe how tall Jake is! How fun that he is going to kindergarten. All the things he did on the first day of school made us wonder if we are really prepared for the year! :) He is such a smart little boy. We always enjoy hearing fun stories about your boys! We wish we all lived in all of the different states, but that they were all much closer together! :)

with love, r said...

So much fun Sarah! What a great new adventure for your family. I love seeing Jake's excitement!
Thanks for letting Josh and I steal your husband last night. He helped put our minds at ease...

Becky said...

i love his cute new clothes. i hope he has a great year of school.

Melanie said...

That program sounds really neat. Jake looks happy in the pictures - interested and excited about kindergarten. Can you believe our kids are getting this big!?

Hope the year is a great one for him!

Nat Lud said...

So glad to hear it went well! I know you've been sort of nervous about it all. I hope he has a great year. We love ya, Jake!
He looks so handsome! :)