Jake had his second soccer practice yesterday afternoon. I signed him up for the VIP league which is for kids with special needs. I was nervous about whether or not Jake was going to like playing or if he was just going to shut down and not want to play. I was pleasantly surpised at his first practice when he ran right out onto the field and kicked the ball around the whole time! He was so cute out there and would get so excited every time he scored a goal.
When we showed up to practice yesterday one of the mentor teenagers who was there to help was one of my Mia Maids who babysits for us a lot. She picked Jake to be her buddy for the practice and was so nice to kick the ball with him and help him when we needed it. Everything was going well until about 45 minutes into the practice Jon looked up and saw Shelby waving frantically for us to come over there. Jon then looked at Jake and saw that he was laying in the middle of the field having a seizure. We went running over there to help him, but unfortunately there's not much we can do. We just have to lay him on his side, make sure he keeps breathing, and watch him get through it. When he was finished Jon carried him off of the field and we went home.
After Jake has a seizure he is always really tired and out of it for a while so Jon just held him until he was feeling better. The nice thing is that the person having the seizure never remembers anything that happened. We asked Jake if he is excited to go to soccer again and he said that he was which is a good sign. We are thinking that maybe the extreme heat yesterday is what triggered the seizure, but we need to do some more research into that and see if heat really can cause a seizure. I'm just glad that Jake is okay and that hopefully this means that he won't have another seizure for a long time.
12 comments:
Oh, sorry to hear about this seizure BUT it's so good that Jake found a sport he likes!! I hope to read more about this little athlete :)
I'm glad he's okay. That's so nice of Shelby to think of him. He looks like he's going to love soccer.
I love it when we have babysitters that really make our little ones feel special. Sorry to here about the seizure, sounds like it may be tough to have to sit and watch as a parent. Jake looks like he bounces back quickly. Love the pics. Are you still loving your camera?
Oh that poor little boy! It made me all teary just to read about it. It must be so frustrating to not know why they happen and not be able to do much. Thank goodness he doesn't remember them. Talk about tender mercies.
Sounds great that you found this team for him and he enjoys it. And I love how he got the card and candy from Shelby. So sweet! Hope the rest of the season runs more smoothly!
I'm glad Jakie is home, having his yummy candy and he can't remember the seizure. Seizures are probably so scary. I'm glad he is in soccer, it's going to be so fun for Jake, he looks so cute with all his gear. and I love all your pictures from you new camera!!
I bet Jon was so excited about the last BYU game, we were happy for him for the outcome.
I'm so glad both you and Jon were there - so scary! Glad everything is OK!!
On a much lighter note - cute blog! I like the changes.
What a bummer! Hope this was a one-timer for soccer practice! He looks so cute kicking that around. What a sweet boy and AWESOME parents!
He looks so cute playing soccer, so glad he was okay, that is nice he doesn't remember at least. Glad he has Shelby to be right there with him. It looks like he is going to really enjoy it. Love the new look of the blog and all the great photos from your new camera.
I used to be a buddy for the VIP soccer kids over at Lake MV! What fun for little Jakey! I'm so glad he was okay after the seizure. Poor little guy. I hope that doesn't happen again for a long, long time. Oh, I wish the docs would just figure out exactly what is going on. I hope you and Jon are okay.
zac says that direct sunlight and heat can definitely set off a seizure. i would do more research yourself, but that is what he remembers learning. i am so sorry to hear that, but i am glad he is feeling better. good to know he loves soccer.
I LOVE the soccer pictures! What a cutie! The seizure is so sad, every time I think of it I remember when he had his first one in Delta and my mom and I just sat there and cried and watched my dad help him. It was kind of pathetic that we couldn't be a little more helpful, but it just broke my heart seeing him. Anyway, you guys are so cute! (ps this is heidi :) )
What a trooper. I am glad that he still looks forward to playing soccer again. That was super nice of Shelby. Way to go girl.
Post a Comment