So for the past three months my eyes have been red and I've been trying to figure out why. I went to my family care doctor in July and he said that it was pink eye and gave me some eye drops. I did the eye drops faithfully and it cleared up for a week or so and then came back. I called my opthamologist that specializes it retinal diseases and they said that they don't take care of diseases in the front of the eye. So I went to the optometrist and he said that they just look dry and gave me some drops for dry eyes. This didn't work either. So I went back to the family care doctor and this time he thought it was allergies. I started taking allergy medication, but that didn't help at all. So fed up and not knowing where else to turn, I bought some Visine drops at Target that get the red out. This would help for about 10 minutes and then the red would just come back. At this point I was so frustrated. I woke up Wednesday morning and looked in the mirror and not only were my eyes red, but my right eye lid was swollen and my eye sight was getting more and more blurry. So I called my opthamologist back and asked if there was any way they could see me. They said again that they don't deal with stuff like this, but that a NORMAL opthamologist does. Excuse me, a normal opthamologist? I had no idea that they were specialists or I would have called another opthamologist 3 months ago. Anyway, they referred me to one and I called and made an appoinment for 2:40 that afternoon in San Clemente which is about 25 minutes away.
I dropped the kids off with my mom and headed down to San Clemente for my appointment. At lunch Jon had showed me on a map how to get there so it seemed simple enough. I realized that my cell phone was dead on the way there, but again felt confident that I knew where I was going so didn't think that would be a problem. So I headed South on the 5 freeway and was looking for my exit. I was sure that each time I saw another sign listing the exits that mine would be on it, but alas, it never showed up. As soon as I realized that my exit didn't exist it was too late. I was now past San Clemente and apparently there isn't another exit until Camp Pedleton which was 15 minutes down the freeway. I was now stuck on the freeway and was near tears I was so frustrated. I finally got off the first exit that I could and turned around and headed 15 minutes back up the freeway. I got off at the first San Clemente exit and pulled into a 7-Eleven to use the pay phone. I looked next to me and there was a scary looking guy so I pulled out and found another pay phone. I called the doctor's office and explained what had happened and they were really nice about it. They gave me directions and told me to still come in. So at 3:30 I finally walked into the office and was able to see the doctor.
He looked in my eyes and right away said that I have MGD (Meibomian Gland Dysfunction) which is some sort of dry eye disease that is common in fair skinned blondes. The treatment is to do hot compresses on my eyes several times a day to unclog the oil ducts, to use lubricating drops and to take an antibiotic eye drop. He said that I may have to repeat this every month for a while until it gets better, but that it will get better. I can already tell a difference and am just really hoping that this is the right diagnosis and that I can finally have white eyes again!
Tonight I was sitting on the couch with a warm wash cloth on my eyes and Nathan saw me and wanted to have one on his eyes! It was pretty funny!
Aloha! (Spring Break)
8 years ago
14 comments:
What kind of friend am I that I totally forgot to ask you about your appointment today? I am so sorry. I am glad the "normal opthamologist" diagnosed you so fast. I hope you feel better soon and notice a difference in your eye color, although I never noticed they were red before. Edward has red eyes.
I am having trouble with my left eye, red and oozing. I got drops a couple of times...but I am not fair skinned or blond? What now?
Oh, how irritating! So glad you found someone with answers and a solution. I hope your eyes recover sooner than later! Nathan is the cutest. Love his little face ;).
Wow! What a crazy few months! I'm so glad you finally figured it out though. That must have been scary to realize your sight was getting blurry.
And the whole specialist thing - what a pain! I like that Billy is getting more specialized just so I can learn who really does what. :) Did you know, for instance, it's better (on average) to have an oral surgeon fix your injured nose than a plastic surgeon?! :)
Hope your eyes get better soon. Loved the picture of Nathan with you!
I have something similar! It happens every so often and I can't wear my contacts for 4-6 weeks. I am not fair skinned or blonde, but my dr. (5 min away) says hormones can do it. Since you are nursing, that might be it.
I wish I would have known. You should go to my dr. right here. But it's horrible. My eyes were so blurry I couldn't even read!
LOVE THAT KID! I think he is so hilarious! I'm happy you found a doctor that could help you. Good luck with the eye thing. My eyes get red sometimes too, and they water a little, but it usually goes away after a day or so. It's really weird!
I think I would have been in tears, long before you were near them! I am glad someone "normal" finally figured out what was up! That picture of you and Nathan is SO CUTE!!!
Ha- I hate it when it seems like all things are against you in trying to get somewhere on time!! I was totally feeling your emotional stress.
Super glad you finally figured out what the heck was wrong with your eyeballs! Now we don't have to worry about catching anything from you...just kidding. I guess that's one bad thing about being a blonde!
SO glad for you that you were able to get it figured out & hope it feels better quickly! Although, I couldn't see any red at all.
That is so crazy! Glad you got it all figured out and that you can always be a medical marvel. You and Nate look really cute with your spa treatments. Hope it works and that you will red free soon.
cute picture! it bugs that they didn't know what it was sooner. hope it stays away!
you had me scared there for a minute. so much leading up to the diagnosis and all. can you imagine life without cell phones? i bet you can now. cute pic of you two. i bet it's relaxing. love ya and can't wait to see your beautiful white eyes soon.
Hi Sarah, it's Becky's friend Sarah. I struggled with something very similar for a very long time! It took months, and 3 doctors to tell me that it was Blepharitis (could the name GET any uglier?). I used a steroid drop just until the redness cleared up, in addition to washing my eyes (on the outside) with baby shampoo. It's made all the difference! Every night a use really warm water, wash my makeup off with a washcloth, then use baby shampoo to suds up the on and around the lids again. It just makes sure your ducts can stay clean (mine is because of oily skin). I can wear my contacts again and am pretty much back to normal... unless I stop the washing. Even if I'm using other things, if it's not the baby shampoo or lid cleanse, it comes back in a hurry. Good luck! I'm glad you finally have some insight from a Dr.!
Yeah, that doesn't sound like much fun. H ope it gets better!
Post a Comment