Sunday, October 26, 2008

He Did It!

Last year at about this time I was so excited for Jake to be in his first Primary Sacrament Meeting Program as a little Sunbeam. I bought him a new sweater vest and tie and practiced his part with him. The day came and we sat in the back of the Cultural Hall thinking that if Jake saw us he would want to sit by us so we tried to hide. Jake went up and after about 2 songs he saw us in the back and started to cry. His teacher ended up bringing him back to us where he remained for the rest of the program. He wanted nothing to do with going back up there.
So you can imagine why I have been so nervous about this year's Primary program. I called one of the counselor's in the Primary presidency last night and asked if she thought I should sit up there with him during the program and if we should even let him try to say his part since there was no way he was actually going to say it. She told me that he said his part during the practice and that I should just send him up there and see how he does and if he starts to cry then I can come up and sit by him. So after the Sacrament I took him up there and returned back to my seat. This year we sat in the very front so that Jake could see us the whole time and realize that we were close by in case he needed us. I was so nervous about what he was going to do.
He did so well. He stood up for every song, sat down when he was supposed to and Jon and I both think his mouth moved a little to "I Am A Child of God" making it seem like he was actually singing along! He started looking like he was going to fall asleep and I was getting really worried that he was going to fall over mid-song and cause a big scene. I prayed that he would be able to stay awake and again I prayed that he would be able to say his part. A little over half way through it was finally his turn. He walked right up to the microphone, stood there and ACTUALLY SAID HIS PART! I couldn't believe it. The lady helping him gave him phrases to say at a time and so Jake would just say the last word of each phrase, but still, I was so proud of him. I was of course crying and even Jon admitted that he teared up a little.
When the program was over I went over to tell Jake what a great job he did. He saw me as he was trying to get through the crowd of kids and exclaimed with a huge smile on his face, "Mom, I did it!" Definitely a moment I will never forget. I'm grateful for answers to my prayers and I'm grateful for this little kid. I'm so proud of him!

Our best attempt at getting a picture of the boys in their matching vests after church!

13 comments:

Becky said...

i almost started to tear up while reading this. he is so cute in his vest. new clothes always gives me more confidence too. maybe that's all he needed, a dapper new outfit. thanks for sharing!

Cortney said...

Yeah, Jake!! He did such a good job. He looked so handsome and grown-up. My favorite was when he said his part and and Nathan looked over with a huge smile on his face and said, "Jakee did it!!!" He was so proud of his brother! Our kids are growing up so fast... I think I'll go eat some frosting now!!

Meggan said...

Yay for Jake! I was so proud of him for saying his part. It made me so happy that I went to church.

Andrea said...

Way to go Jake!! That is so awesome for him and you. So adorable that Nate was so excited too. It's those moments that make it all worth while. They look super handsome as usual!

Nat Lud said...

That is seriously such a great mama moment! I am so happy for him--and you! I can imagine what a special program it was. :)

Bethany said...

wow! I am so happy for him and for you! it was emotional for me just to read! yeah Jake!

Kristen said...

Ahhh Primary Programs. The Primary Presidency has just as much anxiety about it too, I promise you that! What a fun time of year...? As a parent I love it...!

Heather said...

Hurray for Jake! So proud of the little guy! Love how Nathan cheered for him. What a good little bro.

Whitney said...

Ok - that is so sweet. I love the primary program - i am the primary chorister and we had ours on sunday too. my favorite thing was getting to watch all those kids put on their show - i bet jake was a highlight for all.

Melanie said...

What a great moment!! Thank you for sharing it with us. I loved reading all about it.

Megan said...

One of the great moments of being a parent. Great job Jake!

Emily said...

Way to go, Jake! What a great story--it did bring tears to my eyes.
I also loved the picture of your three boys.

Steve and Rebecca said...

That's great!! Ryan would not go up for Mother's Day or Father's Day...so we'll see what happens this Sunday when our primary does their program...