Thursday, April 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, Max!

Max turned 1 year old today. I really can't believe a year has gone by since Jon and I walked down the sidewalk of Mission Hospital so excited that Max was finally going to be born. Max really has been a mellow, happy, good-sleeping baby for which I am really grateful for. He is crawling, pulling himself up to standing, cruising around furniture, clapping, waving, babbling, drinking out of a straw and sippy cup, sleeping through the night and throwing a ball.

One thing I love about Max is his contagious smile. He smiles at people everywhere we go and they always smile back at him. His dimples are the cutest!

The day started out with the traditional balloon throwing in his crib. He's our first one year old not to cry when we filled his crib with big balloons- he loved it!

The rest of the festivities took place tonight after Jon got home. We ate dinner and then opened presents. It took Max a little while to get the hang of ripping the wrapping paper off, but luckily his older brothers were right there to help him!

He got an inflatable ball pit and 300 balls to put in it. He's really into balls right now so I thought this would be a fun gift.

Despite the serious look on his face, he really did like it. I think Jake and Nate might have liked it a little more! The funny thing is that they had almost the same one when they were little (I'm sure this looks familiar to all of our Vegas friends)!

Clearly one of my few talents does not include cake decorating. I know how to make things taste good, not look good! Anyway, we did a baseball cake to go along with the whole ball theme. What? You don't think jelly beans go with baseballs? Come on now! I really should hire my sister-in-law, Bethany to decorate all of my kids cakes from now on. (I have no idea what my hand is doing in this picture!)

Max was a little apprehensive at first with the cake. He wasn't even sure if he wanted to eat it. But finally he dove in did a great job making a mess.

Nothing beats jelly bean droll! And yes, we did give him a bath after this!

Seriously now, enough pictures Mom and Dad!
I really do love this kid and I'm so glad that he is part of our family.
Happy 1st Birthday, Max-a-Moose!!!

15 comments:

Nuestra Familia said...

Happy B-day Max! He has the best smile and makes the best faces. Wow the swing set is awesome and so much work to put up, is it the one from Sams?

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday Max! Looks like a good time!

Annette said...

"One" already??? He is so, so cute! I'm glad he had such a great birthday. His smile is the best...and those balls look like way too much fun.

Sunny said...

He is the happiest, smiliest baby in the world. I LOVE his smile. Those dimples, mmmm. Looks like a great birthday - and I love the cake. You did much better than me - I just bought Zach's. No baking skills around here. I cannot believe these boys are one. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAX!!

Nat Lud said...

That jelly bean drool pic is my fave! He is so handsome. Sounds like he had a great 1st birthday. You are such a fun mom!

Whitney said...

That year flew. I can't believe he's one...love the picture of him smiling with the jelly bean drool trickling down all over!

Bethany said...

Happy Birthday to Max!! He's the happiest baby I know! And thanks for the cake compliment! I will make a cake for you anyday - and you don't have to hire me!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday Max! He's so cute.

Robyn said...

Happy Birthday big boy! He really does smile every time you look at him. He is such a handsome and happy baby. He already looks like a little boy. It's been so fun to watch him grow up over the past year. You guys make some good lookin' kids!

Emily said...

Happy Birthday, Max!
I love the ball pit and the ball theme--and I think the cake looks fine. When I saw the picture I thought maybe I could make a baseball cake too for Jamesy. Cute.

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday little guy!! What a cutie. I am glad he had a great day. I think that cake is cute!! I do remember that ball thing before I read the bottom I said to myself, I thought they had one of those already. Perfect for his age though. Fun day!!

Melanie said...

I was thinking about you guys because I knew his birthday was coming. I'm so glad he liked the balloons in his crib and enjoyed his present and cake! :) It's sure been a fast year! :)

Happy 1st Birthday Max!

Tamara said...

I can't believe your sweet boy is a whole year old. Where does the time go?

Tonya said...

Happy Birthday, Max! You are so right, he does have the best smile. What a fun gift for a one year old, too! You are such a rad mom.

Megan said...

Love the balloon tradition. Happy birthday Max!