The 4th of July continues to be one of my favorite holidays. I love everything about it- the warm weather, the patriotic colors, the parades, the BBQs, swimming, fireworks, patriotic songs, etc. We started off the day going to our ward's annual 4th of July Breakfast. The boys were so excited to decorate their bikes and ride in the bike parade.
Max loved wearing his hat and riding around in the wagon.
I have to give credit to Jon for helping the boys decorate their bikes and the wagon at 7:30 that morning since we got home at midnight the night before from our waterski trip (pictures to come). They did a great job!
We couldn't get the boys to leave after it was all over- they just wanted to keep riding around in the parade!
Our attempt at a family picture!
After the ward breakfast we came home and the boys and I made our traditional sugar cookies. They're really into making silly faces in pictures right now!
They helped me roll them out and cut them into stars. They then helped me frost them.
The finished product (okay, these are the ones that I frosted, but I did let them frost a few)!
After the cookies were done we headed up the street for our annual neighborhood party. The boys rode in another bike parade. This time all of the kids lined up and then rode up and down the street at the same time instead of calling them one by one like they did at the ward party.
Jake and Nathan were a little confused by this and they just sat there for a minute while all of the headed down the street! They finally figured it out and rode around for a while.
They then had a water balloon toss and Jake and Nathan got 4th place- thanks to a balloon that wouldn't pop no matter how many times they dropped it!
I made my traditional flag cake to take out to my parent's house for dessert. Unfortunately they ended up making homemade ice cream and everyone got full on that. So we ended up just dividing the cake out at the end of the night for everyone to take home- bummer!
We then headed out to my parent's house for swimming and a BBQ. The kids swam for hours. Nathan had fun playing with Laney and Jack the whole time.
This is how Jake jumped into the pool every time. Thank goodness for his life jacket that absorbed some of the pain from the belly flop! By the end of the day Jake's poor little eyes were really red and swollen. I think we might be taking a break from swimming for a few days until they get better!
Max and his cousin, Scotty, had a great time swimming together in the little baby pool.
Love this smile!
Max discovered that he loves BBQed corn!
My dad said that when he was a kid he and his brothers would always fight over who got to lick the paddle after they made homemade ice cream. He finally got his chance and he had the face to prove it!
That night we headed out to Christy's house in Ladera Ranch and watched the fireworks from her backyard. While we were waiting for them to start Will had fun pushing Max in the little car- it was so cute!
We all hung out in the backyard until they started and once the first firework went off Jake freaked out as usual. So Jon took him up to Christy's bathroom and played on the iphone with him so that he couldn't hear anything. We were really hoping that this would be the year that Jake wouldn't be afraid of the fireworks, but no such luck!
Overall, it was a busy, fun filled day. I feel so blessed to live in America and enjoy the freedoms that we have. I always get a little teary eyed listening to Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American" song because it makes me feel so lucky and proud to live here. I hope that everyone else had a happy and safe 4th of July!




















9 comments:
What cute pictures! It looks like it was a really fun day! I love the pics of Max in the wagon with his sparkly hat. His eyes are to die for! I love the patriotic family picture of you guys in your church clothes too!
So fun! I too am a huge fan of this holiday and I love to see how everyone else celebrates it. You guys look great in your festive outfits as always!
Um, did all of this happen in one day? Surely this was a month's worth of activity? You and Jon are amazing parents. I hope we have this much fun with our kids! Wish we lived closer. You know my kids would become honorary Drapers, ha ha! I love all of the pictures. Looks like you had the greatest time.
You are amazing. I would like to hire you to dress my entire family and bake cookies and fruit pizzas for us! Miss you! Someday our paths will cross again....I just know it!
Okay I have been so bad at commenting on your blog lately but I read it all the time! Your 4th of July sounded like a blast! I always love to see your holiday Sunday outfits! They are always so cute. Can't wait for the cabin in a few weeks!
You're the cutest "coordinated" family I've ever seen. I'm so impressed at how you pull that off every Sunday...holiday or not! :)
Sarah,
I have been terrible at commenting on blogs--but I am a faithful reader of your blog and I cannot say that about too many others! :)
I love reading all about what you are up to. And I love all those close up pictures of your boys. They are so cute!
I am excited for the family get together at the cabin--it is so nice of your family to let us use it!
Ditto on Annie's and Heidi's comments. I love to read your blog. The kids are so cure. I can hardly wait to see you all at Yellowstone. It will be so fun to have the family all together for a few days. Thanks to your family for their generosity.
Lorelei
You are sooo creative and cute. I hope you are eating cuz you are looking TINY. You need to share your secret. Looks like you had a great time.
Post a Comment