Monday, November 9, 2009

My Little Major Leaguer

Saturday Jake had the opportunity to play a baseball game at Angel Stadium! The Challenger Little League is for kids with special needs and every year the Angels organize a day where all of the teams get to come out and play a game on a major league field. This was Jake's first year participating and he loved it!

The Angel's 2nd baseman, Howie Kendrick, along with ex-player, Matt Luke, were there to support the kids.

Some of the kids from the regular Little League were there to be 'buddies' for the kids with special needs. Jake's buddy was so awesome- he stuck with him the whole time and really helped him out. He even brought over a bunch of the other buddies while they were waiting to go into the stadium and they all stood in a circle around Jake and played catch with him. Jake was loving all of the attention!

The kids finally got to go out onto the field. They started with the National Anthem and then recited the Little League pledge. Then it was time to play ball!

Howie Kendrick went around to the different games and pitched to some of the kids. It was so cool that he was there and was interacting with the kids.

Jake was a little rusty at first since he hasn't played baseball since last Spring, but once he got the hang of it he had two good hits!

He ran the bases really well, but needed a little help finding home plate!

Matt Luke came out and gave Jake some pointers on how to stand while waiting for the ball to come to you. It was cute how Jake was totally listening to him and trying to copy what he was doing.

They had camera guys going around putting the kids up on the jumbo tron throughout the game. I was excited when I looked up and saw myself up there so I had to take a picture!

They put Jake up there while he was hitting. The camera guy filming Jake in the picture was hired by the Angels to make a promo video of the event to show during the Angel games. They filmed Jake hitting and then running all of the bases. They then interviewed me for the video! I've never been interviewed for a news clip before and I was a little nervous, but it was kind of fun! So if you're at an Angel's game next season, look for me and Jake in one of the promo clips!!!

Here is Jake's cheering section! Jon was a good sport and watched Nathan and Max as they ran around the stadium during the game.

It was such a cool experience for all of us to be a part of!
Here's a link to an article in the OC Register if you want to read more about it.

10 comments:

Melanie said...

What a neat experience for Jake. It looks like he had a great time. You got lots of good pictures. Does he get to do this next year too? I bet he can't wait.

Nat Lud said...

That brought tears to my eyes. What a neat organization! Such a great experience for your fam! Love you guys!

Johanna said...

What a great experience for Jake! can't wait to see you on telly next year -well, hopefully since we'll be watching from Seattle!

Annie and Heidi said...

How fun! What a neat experience! I love how into sports Jake is. I really hope you are in lots of the promo videos! That is so cool! I also really like the buddy system they have set up. I think it really helps young people learn to be kind and interact with people that are different than them--and realize they like it! I always enjoy reading about the different things California has organized to participate in.

Marie said...

That is so cool! I wish I was going to an Angel's game so I could see the promo! Jake could not have come to a better family. I am impressed with all the activities that you immerse him in to enrich his life.

josieposie said...

So awesome for Jake! Funny that he's wearing a Dodgers uniform in a video for the Angels....

Wendy said...

So cool for Jake, shoot, anyone! That's so fun!

Heather said...

Go Jake! What a great opportunity for your little guy. I remember attending a picnic for Carli with your family when we were in high school. The experience inspired me to be a buddy in the VIP soccer league and a spirit coach for a basketball team in the Special Olympics at UCLA. The picture of all the kids playing ball with Jake is awesome. I bet he's inspiring many kids (and adults!) to open their minds and hearts. Way to go Sarah and Jon! You two rock.

Becky said...

that is so cool. how come you never told me about it? are you going to go to all the angel's games now so you can see yourself on the big screen? i probably would. looks like a fun event jake will probably never forget.

Andrea said...

That is so fun, he looks so handsome and grown up in all of those pictures. What a fun oppurtunity for everyone. Let's talk soon.