The month of December has been very busy, but really fun at the same time. Here is what we have been up to...
Disneyland
We kicked off the holiday season with a trip to Disneyland. They always do such a good job with all of their Christmas decorations and festivities, including the huge tree at the end of Main Street, snow that falls at the end of the parade and a visit to Santa and his reindeer. It was the perfect way to get us into the holiday spirit!
Smile for the camera, boys!
Jake's favorite ride continues to be the teacups. His smile is priceless everytime.
A Day in LA
The Grinch was playing at the Pantages Theater in Los Angeles so we went with the Daytons and took the kids to see it. Max stayed home since there was no way he was going to sit through a play. I was a little nervous about Jake and Nathan sitting through it, but they loved it! They sat there the whole time and didn't even ask for food!
After the play we went to dinner and then headed over to the LA Temple to see the Christmas lights. It took us about an hour to get to the temple since the traffic is always so bad up there, but we finally made it and the kids loved running around and looking at all of the lights.
Family Home Evenings
I tried to teach the kids about the true meaning of Christmas and why we celebrate, but I'm not sure if I really got through to them. It's hard to compete with Santa Claus, presents and decorations in the eyes of a four year old! I'll keep trying...
Tacky Sweater Party
I decided to throw an all girl tacky sweater party where everyone wore the most tacky Christmas outfits we could find. I have to give credit to my mom for my outfit. She made that jumper a long time ago and actually wore it out in public! I wish I had a close up of Cortney and Kim's outfits- they won the top prizes for the tackiest outfits. (Cortney is in the green sweater with the tutu and Kim is next to her in the brown sweater and leapard leggings!)
We had a gift exchange and I'd have to say that the best gift was the homemade Snuggie that Josie made! Unfortunately, Tonya didn't end up with it, but doesn't it look good on her?!!
Robyn's skirt is actually a tree skirt- so creative!
Christmas Church Clothes
Every Sunday leading up to Christmas we all wear festive colors to church. This was our attempt at getting a picture after church one Sunday...
a LITTLE better...
Jon's Office Party
I had to organize Jon's office party and get all of the gifts for his employees. We went to lunch at a restaurant in San Juan Capistrano and I think it turned out really well. It was fun to get to know everyone better since I usually have about 5 minutes whenever I stop into his office!
Candy Cane Lane
Every year we walk around this neighborhood that is out of control with lights and decorations! The kids LOVE it.
They even have fake snow that falls every half hour or so.
School Programs
Jake did such a great job in his school Christmas concert. He sang all of the songs and did all of the actions right along with the other kids- and he looked so handsome up there!
Nathan's preschool program was so cute! He had a solo part in the middle of Rudolph (he was Santa) and he sang it so well. I was really proud of him!
Ward Christmas Party
There were no tears on Santa's lap this year which was a small miracle! The kids were all excited to see him- even Max!
After the boys sat on Santa's lap they frosted and decorated sugar cookies. Trent is Nathan's good friend and they spent the rest of the time running around and playing hide and go seek in the cultural hall.
Max discovered that he loves donuts with sprinkles on them...
and then spent the rest of the time figuring out how to work the water dispenser...
and dancing while the rest of the kids were trying to watch a movie!
Yard Work
Jon has been spending Saturday mornings laying new sod in the backyard. The boys love helping him and getting as dirty as they possibly can!
Gingerbread Creations
We spent a lot of time at home putting together and decorating gingerbread houses, gingerbread trees, gingerbread men, making marshmallow/Cheerio trees and frosting sugar cookies.
Christopher Pop-in-kins
We started a new tradition this year which quickly became one of the kid's favorites. Every morning this elf was hiding in a new place and the kids would run down to try and find him. He would then stay in his hiding place all day and watch the kids to see if they were making good choices. Christmas Eve he magically disappeared and went back to the North Pole to tell Santa that they had been good and that he can bring them presents! We all miss him around here and can't wait until he reappears next year!
Christmas Treats
We always make treats and take them around to our good friends, family and neighbors. This year I made Oreo Truffles and put them on sticks and wrapped them up in these tins. Despite the hours it took to make 19 of these, I thought they turned out pretty cute! Jake and Nathan loved ding dong ditching them to everyone's doorsteps. Nathan kept asking me what this fun game we were playing was called again- definitely a highlight for them!
Christmas Cards
One of the highlights for me is checking the mail everyday and seeing if we have any Christmas cards! I LOVE getting all of your cards and seeing and reading about your families. Thank you for sending them to us each year!
9 Year Anniversary
Jon and I celebrated our 9 year anniversary on the 22nd. We went out the Saturday before since the 22nd was the BYU bowl game! One of the specialists at work gave Jon a gift card to this really nice steak restaurant so we started our date there.
We then saw the play A Christmas Carol at the South Coast Repertory. It was really good, though I must admit I fell asleep for part of it. Anyone who knows me knows that I have issues staying awake in plays- I don't know what it is- but after walking around during intermission I was good to go for the rest of it!
Other activities and traditions included making a paper chain to count down the days until Christmas starting about 50 days before, going to a live nativitiy and creche exhibit, driving around and looking at Christmas lights, reading lots of Christmas books, Christmas shopping and listening and dancing to Christmas music. I absolutely love the holiday season, but I'm exhausted! Stay tuned to hear all about Christmas Eve and Christmas day...
14 comments:
Sheesh, lady! You know how to pack it all in! Such fun pics. Love your neighbor goodies. So creative.
Sarah! I found your cute blog. Love it! Looks like you had a crazy month! I bet that took awhile to post! Thanks so much for hosting the fun sweater party! It was a blast! Love the pictures of Max at the ward party. He loved that water jug!
fun. why do you insist on going to plays if you just fall asleep?!?!?! i'm glad you stayed awake for this one! i am in love with that picture of max and the donut... fat baby heaven!
Whoa, what a crazy month for you guys! You had so much fun stuff to do. I loved all the pictures of the kids in their holiday clothes. They look so handsome. Max is adorable in that picture of him helping with the sod in the backyard. What a great month it's been for you and Happy Anniversary too!!
Happy Anniversary! All the festivities sounded SO FUN!!! Can't wait to hear about Christas Day! Your neighbor gifts are so cute and I'm so glad you have the recipe for oreo truffles because I have been wanting to make them!
I was thinking the same as Natalie - how do you get so much in?! :) Sounds like a fabulous month. Your boys must've had a blast.
The block nativity is so cute! Did you make it?
The sweater party was awesome. I need to remember that idea.
And happy anniversary. :)
Sarah! Happy Anniversary to you and Jon! I cannot believe it has been NINE years. Congratulations to you both.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Looks like you're having an absolute blast with your friends and family. Love the tacky sweater party... Disneyland at Christmas is so cool. We'll definitely take Shea next year when he's 3... Love all the pics of the boys. Way to go, taking them to a play! You're so brave ;).
Let's get together soon so we can catch up and Shea and Max can play.
where do i begin. i like the way you divided the blog up into chapters, easy to follow. the tacky sweater party looks hilariously funny. you sort of look like a polygomist. don't tell mom. you friends look like a lot of fun. the neighbor treats look amazing. i can't imagine how long that must have taken you. the truffles look like perfect balls, how did you manage that? what else? you're christmas sunday attire is very cute. you are parting your hair in the middle. i think you should make a valentine's elf, an easter elf and every other kind of elf you can think of if it helped your kids to be good. that's an awesome idea, i'll have to steal that one when we have kiddos. love you and missed you this holiday season. modern family starts this week-i am so excited.
Way fun stuff! Your family is so cute, I love that your boys were good at the Christmas play and loved it and then run around the temple lights!! I'm glad all your christmas was so great.
9 YEARS? Jeez! Didn't we just graduate from college? Holy Cow! Congrats. And what a cute mom you are with all your holiday activities.
Wow! What a fun month you guys had. I seriously love the month of December. And I love Disneyland at Christmas. You guys looked great in your Sunday outfits! I missed your little yearly update in your Christmas card though!
Great recap! I am in awe of you. You always do so much with your kids. Such a great mom. I'm lucky if mine are clean and fed.
Oh, and isn't it so hard to have your anniversary in December?!? We had our 10 year on the 18th and we went to dinner and some last minute Christmas shopping for the kids. lame.
Everything looks like so much fun. You guys are great parents, the boys look like they are having a blast. The treats looked just how I had imagined them, so cute, and you are looking very cute and festive in all the photos.
Post a Comment