Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Happiest Place on Earth...or not

We went to Disneyland today and renewed our annual passports so that we can enjoy another year of magical fun! It was so fun to see all of the Halloween decorations and to ride the rides that we have missed for the past 6 months. It was pretty hot and crowded, but thankfully we get a pass to go to the front of every line because of Jake's special needs and the fact that it's hard for him to wait in long lines.

This was the first time Max was able to ride some of the rides and he loved it! He even got to ride his own horse on the Merry-Go-Round.


The tea cups continue to be the boys favorite ride. I think they smiled the entire time!
Max and I rode Dumbo together. I'm not sure if he liked it as much as the Merry-Go-Round, but he still smiled quite a bit.


So everything was going great until we rode the Jungle Cruise. We got off of the ride and the boys wanted to look at the stuffed animals across the way. I decided to go wait in line to get Pineapple Dole Whips from the Tiki Room and so I walked away. Jon turned to get the boys and realized that Nathan was gone. He found me in line hoping that Nathan had followed me, but I didn't have him. Then the real panic set in. We split up and started looking everywhere for him. After five minutes or so he was still no where to be found. Seriously freaking out at this point. It was so crowded and he could be anywhere. Jon told me to go tell the store clerk where we last saw him that we had lost our child. So I told her and she immediately picked up the phone and reported that there was a lost child. She asked me how old he was and what his name was and within 30 seconds she told me that he was at the entrance of Pirates of the Carribean and that a worker was with him. So I rushed down there and Nathan came running up to me as soon as he saw me. I was so relieved.
The worker said that she saw him crying and went up to him and he told her that he couldn't find his mommy and daddy. So I guess she reported it right away and that is how the store clerk knew where he was. Let me just say that I was very impressed. I'm sure that they have several lost kids a day and so they have the system down to a science. I was just so glad that the worker found him before some psycho decided to kidnap him (when your child is lost all sorts of things run through your head).
Anyway, we then decided to get our Dole Whips after all and then we left the park. On the way to the car both Jake and Nathan pretty much had melt downs and I seriously was ready to return our passports and be done for the year. Now that I've had time to think it through I think we'll try it again and hope that we have a better experience. Either that or Jon and I will just use them for date nights and actually get to ride the big rides!!!

22 comments:

Cortney said...

Oh, I had a panic attack just reading your post! I'm glad you found him!!

JT said...

Gosh this must have been frightening! So glad you found him right when you told the clerk. Pfiew...

Kristen said...

I stated crying just feeling your panic. I just hate that when the girls duck under clothes racks or something for just a second. Thank goodness that they were quick to respond. How fun to be able to pop over to Disneyland and back again in a short amount of time!

Jules said...

Yeah, don't worry-- mom of the year here! Lost Brock TWICE at Disneyland when he was about that age. 2 different days, but once it was for about 4 minutes and we found him wandering, and the other time it was for 20 minutes... found him at security at the front gate. It was such a nightmare. I still remember the pit in my stomach and the horrible fear that I was feeling as I was sprinting from here to there (and I don't SPRINT!) trying to find him. Disneyland actually is not a bad place to lose your kid, they are pretty on top of it. Glad he's ok and you are too... the date night idea sounds GLORIOUS!!!

Melanie said...

Oh Sarah! How scary!!! I was getting all worried just reading your blog. I'm so glad you find him so quickly, even though those few minutes were probably the longest of your life.

It looks like the boys had lots of fun beforehand though. Max looked so happy in his picture!

And I think using those passes for date night sounds like a blast!

Whitney said...

Holy cow. That's so scary. Glad everyone's ok now. Disneyland sure knows how to do holidays right! That pumpkin Mickey is so cute!

Heather said...

I remember getting lost SO OFTEN when I was a kid. My mom lost me when we first moved to the condos in El Toro. I was 2. I was lost in the mall on more than one occasion. I loved ducking in between the circular clothes racks and hiding from her. Good times as a parent! Looks like we're in for a wild ride once we enter your world. So glad you found him safe and sound! I probably would have thrown up. I almost throw up when my dog escapes from the house. Hey, you should get the kiddos little wrist leashes or something. Do they have those? ha ha

Molly said...

Oh my goodness! I would freak out, losing Hayden at the mall when he was 3 was bad enough, I can't imagine Disneyland!! It does sound like they had a good system in place though! Sooo, I don't suppose you want to go to Disneyland again next week? We will be in town from the 22nd to the 27th and we would love to see you guys. If not, maybe we could come down to your house and hang out for awhile. I'll email you!

rebecca said...

seriously, there is nothing scarier than losing your kid like that! i am SO glad that they have such a good system down that they could find him fast.

Tamara said...

I got lost at Disneyland once and I was petrified. I can't imagine how scared you must have been! Thank goodness everyone was ok!

with love, r said...

Man, that is the scariest thing EVER!! I had a huge lump in my throat as I read your story. I am extrememly glad that the park was "On it" and helped you so quickly!!!!

Bethany said...

Poor Nathan! He must've been so scared! Glad everything is OK! BTW, your picture quality is great - so clear and crisp!

Emily said...

So scary for you and Nathan! I'm so glad you found him so fast!

Becky said...

FREAKY!!!!

Tonya said...

Oh my goodness! I seriously had tears in my eyes reading this. That is my worst fear, losing one of my kids at Disneyland. I'm so glad you found him quickly! How scary for you.

Annie and Heidi said...

We pretty much add our panic to everyone elses! We knew he must be okay or we would have known before, but it still gave me a really uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomache! I cannot imagine losing a child--really I can't even imagine having a child :) It's always so fun to read your blogs!

Nat Lud said...

Eesh! What a nightmare! That is the worst feeling whena ya realize that they aren't where you thought. Hate it! Glad this ended well though! I am SUPER jealous that you get to go all the time! And I would love it right now! Happy Halloween!

Andrea said...

Oh, that is really scary.......so glad they are on their game, hope he isn't to traumatized. The park looks awesome for fall and Max looks so cute on the merry go round.

p.s. I know how you love that yogurt, it is delicious.

mcwally said...

oh sarah. i hate that pit. and then like 24 hours worth of thought races through your head in a span of 30 seconds... so glad all worked out ok!

so this is lame. but how do you make it so your blog list show that i have up-dated my blog? just curious. i up-dated yesterday and checked your blog. but it didn't register has having been up-dated.

Erin said...

I can't believe he got all the way to Pirate's entrance in such a short amount of time. I love your Nathan and am so glad he is okay!

It's totally the happiest place on earth, yet still the meltdown capital. We can all only handle so much happy at any age.

Becky said...

time for you to blog pics of the boys in their costumes.

Robyn said...

Yeah, I would've been freaking out too. I'll never forget that feeling of panic I felt when I lost Trent at a really crowded, large place. Oh wait, it was just Target. I still can't even think about it.

Glad you found him and hope next time is a better experience.