So having a child with special needs is really hard. I try to stay positive about it, but sometimes I reach my breaking point and Sunday was one of those days. For those of you who don't know Jake's background, he has Epilepsy and severe developmental delays. He is well behaved at school and church, but he has serious behavior problems at home and around other kids in unstructured situations. The last month seems to be worse than ever before. Jake hits or pushes every time he walks by Nathan or Max or any kid that's near him. He screams all day long even when he is happy playing. He is very destructive and loves to throw toys and anything he can get his hands on. He dumps his food on the ground all of the time making a huge mess. He is a challenge, to say the least.
Every time we go anywhere I am always worried about Jake and whether or not he is going to hurt someone or himself. It gets tiring. He still isn't potty trained and has bowel issues every time we go swimming so while our friends and family spend the summer at the pool, we spend the summer at home. We did buy a new waterslide this year so that Jake can at least have some water fun since this is one of his favorite things to do. All day long I hear Nathan crying and complaining that Jake hit him AGAIN. I can't handle it.
Sunday we were at my mom's house and I went upstairs to check on Jake and found my 7 year old nephew crying hysterically because Jake threw a bowling pin at his head (it was a small one, but still pretty hard so I understand that it really hurt him). My sister made a comment to me about it and I just went upstairs and lost it. It wasn't her fault, she was just concerned about her son, but I was already feeling really frustrated and it was just enough to push me over the edge. I really think I cried uncontrollably for about an hour or so. To make matters worse I could hear everyone singing to the May birthday people downstairs, When they sang to Nathan I cried even harder because I felt so guilty that I wasn't dowstairs getting excited for him, instead I was up there crying about Jake. It's not fair to Nathan and Max that they are always getting beat up and that Jake takes so much of our attention. I really don't know what to do.
We have been to so many doctors and specialists trying to get help for him. We are taking a parenting class right now that we are now 7 weeks into and still haven't noticed any change. Jake doesn't make any connection between discipline and the behavior. He will just turn around and hit or scream 5 minutes later and wonder why he's getting in trouble again. I finally went to a new doctor on Monday and he suggested trying behavior medications that might help Jake be more in control. Up until now I have been somewhat against this idea because unlike some children with ADD/ADHD or Autism, Jake can pull it together at school and in structured situations so in my mind he should be able to behave at home as well. However, I've reached the end of my rope. Something has to change. The doctor thinks the medication will help and won't cause him to be any more delayed. The worry is that it might interfere with his seizure medication causing him to have more seizures, something that we do not want to happen. So I think we are going to try it and see how it goes. I figure that we can always stop if it's not working.
We just had Jake's IEP at school which was a total stressful nightmare, but in the end we got what we wanted. Jake is going to repeat Kindergarten in the same collaborative class that he is in now. He has made so much progress this year, but he still isn't close to being ready for 1st grade and I refuse to put him in a special day class where he is only with other kids with special needs. He needs typical role models to emulate because he is such a follower. He is going to have a one-on-one aide again which eases my worries a little about him having a seizure and falling off of the big toy or hitting his head on something. I hope this is the right choice.
I really have a special place in my heart for Jake and love him so much. He can be so sweet and loving at times, it just seems that those times are getting fewer and farther between. I hope that this helps him be happier and more socially acceptable so that kids will want to be his friend and play with him. It's so hard to watch kids not want to be around him because he is so physical, though I totally understand it. Kids don't want to get hurt. We don't go to parks or playgroups for fear of what Jake might do. I try to do fun things with Nathan while Jake is at school so that Nathan isn't totally deprived. I don't want him to grow up resenting Jake. Jake has been aggresive since he was little and I hoped that he would outgrow it or that it would get better. It hasn't. It's gotten much worse and now that he is bigger it hurts a lot worse.
The bottom line is that I'm tired. This is way harder than I ever imagined.
Aloha! (Spring Break)
8 years ago
22 comments:
Oh sweet Sarah, hang in there. This post is so honest, raw, and sad, yet it demonstrates how great a mother you are, thinking about all 3 of your children's well being. I think you made the right choice about the meds -and as you say, if it doesn't work you can always stop. I wish you could enjoy stress-free motherhood! You (and the man + boys in your house) are in my heart and prayers.
Sarah--I am so sorry for how stressful it must be for you! I really do admire you so much. I wish it was easier or that someone could give you an answer that would make sense to fix it all or work with Jake and make it better. I always am telling people how impressed I am by all that you do, but that doesn't lift your burden any. I hope it helps to know what big fans we are of you! Sure do love you! (all 5 of you!)
Hey Sarah! I wanted to cry right along with you. What a hard thing to deal with. I really love how honest you are about it - it makes people feel like what we are going through is easy! And, I just really admire and love the geniune person you are. I'm going to give you a call sometime because it gives me hope for the future. Random, I know. Love you!
Sarah - my heart goes out to you. You can tell what a great mom you are. And, your persistence in trying to find answers for Jake and do the right thing for him will pay off. It has to! Way to fight for him and for your family's wellbeing. Good luck!!
you truly are a great mother, you have a lot of patience and love for each of your children. And all of your children will realize how much you do for them soon! being a mother is such a great calling and you have 3 beautiful boys! :) you can do it Sarah~
Now I'm going to cry. I know you have a trillion friends and countless family members for support, but please call me any time. I'm just a phone call away! I want to take you to frozen yogurt right now. We're coming down there in a couple weekends. I want to take you to lunch if you're free. And maybe shopping too if you have time! I'm really upset that you cried so much. This all breaks my heart, but you're doing everything you can, consulting with doctors, taking classes, so something will help, something will make a difference. You're such a loving, strong mom. Hang in there Sarah!
Hey Sarah, I just have to say that I think you are amazing, both you and Jon are so patient with Jake, it is truly amazing. I look at the things that I get impatient about with my kids and realize that it doesn't even compare to what you are going through. Jake is a good kid, you know that. The medication will probably help. I think I told you with Hayden that as soon as he would get home from school he would be off the wall until bedtime. I think sometimes they keep all of their energy in whiel at school and release it at home. I think the meds will help that, it will probably just make him a little more even.
You are an amazing mom, I am hoping that the meds will work and help you feel a little bit better. I am so sorry about what happened with your family the other night
Sometimes it just sucks... call me if you need to eat, or uh, talk!
Hi Sarah, I just wanted to thank you for your words. All moms get discouraged but even more when we have kids with special needs. You and Jon are amazing people and parents, your 3 boys are incredible too. Way to go on your "fight" to get what Jake needs in school.
Oh friend! I am so wishing I could just give ya a hug right now. I know how you feel about a lot of this stuff--it's so hard having a special needs kid and knowing just how to help them. I have always admired you and your pro-active attitude. You are a great example to me. You definitely have a lot asked of you and you handle it very well. Having a cleansing cry every now and then is super normal and good for moms! We love you all and hope you have a great week.
Oh Sarah, I don't think I ever realized how it really was. My heart goes out to you, Jon and the boys. I wish I had some wonderful magical thing I could do to make it easier for you.
Good for you fighting for what you wanted at school. I think that's awesome. I've watched my sister-on-law do the same for her two autistic boys. It's such an uphill battle, but so worth it when you finally get what your child really needs.
When I was on my mission and something really hard happened, I was told that the Lord knows we can overcome what we are given. You have been blessed with this cute little guy for a reason. You've got special talents and gifts to help him, PLUS a mother's intuition. He is one lucky boy to be loved and cared for by you.
I know that doesn't make each day much easier, but I hope it helps!
Take care. Wish we were closer to help more.
Sarah, I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine how unbelievably hard it is at times. My heart aches for the daily stress you have to endure.
You are amazing. I think about you all of the time when I am getting frustrated with my kids or they are being wild or not listening. I think, Sarah would probably handle this situation so much better than I just did. You are a fantastic mother, and your boys are very, very lucky to have you.
I'm so glad you wrote this. You have inspired many of us to try to be more patient and loving with our children. You are one of the most patient mother's I've ever known and I can learn a lot from you. I really hope the meds help Jake and help bring more peace to your home.
Jake is one of the sweetest and happiest little boys I know. He has such a pure heart. Though he may not show it all the time, I can feel how much he loves Nathan every time I see them together. Nathan talks about Jakie all the time too. I don't think he could ever resent him-he loves him too much.
Sarah, you are amazing. I hope you can feel how much we all look up to you and what a great example you are to all of us. I know this is so hard, but you are handling it amazingly well! Your boys are 3 of the happiest kids I know - and they owe that to you!! Hang in there. I hope the meds will help a bit and ease some of the stress. As I've said before, I don't know how you do everything you do - you run circles around the rest of us. :)Amazing!
Oh Sarah, this post brought tears to my eyes and makes me just want to take all of your problems away. I think one of the hardest things about being a parent is having to feel heartache for your kids because their life isn't perfect. We just love them so much that we want to do whatever we can to make them happy. I don't know how Heavenly Father does it--watching us from above when we are sad or in pain. I know He knows what He's doing, though, and I know you do too. He sent Max and Nathan as brothers to Jake because they are learning and growing in ways that they need to.
I am going to pray super hard for you and Jake and your family.
Amazing people can do amazing things! That is what you are doing for Jake, being amazing. I have watched both you and Jon over the years do everything in your power for him. It will pay off. It is heart wrenching to know some of the things you have been through. You are great parents to all of your children, your patience, love and perseverance will pay off in the end. Let's talk soon!
Sarah, you are amazing...all I can say is 'ditto' to all of the other comments! I have always been so impressed with the patience and love you have for your kids. You really are a wonderful mom and a great example to me. You guys are in my prayers!
Sarah, I wanted to share my admiration for you, but it seems so many others have beat me to it. You may not feel incredible, but all the previous comments are a testament that you are.
Sarah, I am sorry this is the first time I have seen this post. I was at my parents and I don't get on the computer very often there. My heart goes out to you. I have two girls, obviously, you know that, but I do believe girls and boys are different and from your post it sounds like Jake has a lot of "extra boy" in him. You are a great mother, I just wanted to reach out over the miles and give you a hug. What a great advocate you are for your son at school and in his life! I hope things will start to improve for you and Jake soon. I am sure he doesn't like feeling this way either. We will keep you in our prayers!
Sarah, my thoughts and prayers are with you. You are a wonderful mother and having your patience tried is perfectly normal, especially with a special needs child. I admire your energy and how you do such fun things as a family. Through all this you will develop the patience like Heavenly Father has, with many ups and downs on the way. Hang in there.
as a mom with a child with special needs, i certinly fell your pain. i emember soon after dane was diagnosed with autism, i would wake up feeling as if i were in a nightmare. he was the caboose, as you know, and a total surprise for us-an unexpected surprise, so i have a lot of weird feelings about all of that...to make a long story short, hang in there, try the meds and things could be way worse. you are doing such a great job-keep it up and you will come out of all of this a better person and jake will be all the better too...having a mom like you. this all wasnt an accident, you know. this is all part of the plan. you can do it.
Hang in there Sarah. You sound like a wonderful mom!!
Post a Comment